CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 11, 2011

I'm hanging in there!

This is completely unrelated to what else I'm going to write, but have I mentioned that my kids are cool? Totally fun night with Lindsey on Friday! We had great conversation and went and watched some local music! She's awesome! She and Cameron have just managed their lives so well and I'm really proud of them. Good things are coming their way and they've made it happen for themselves. Love them both.

So, my surgery is the 20th. I'm going to try to answer some questions people have been asking a lot, and hopefully this helps.

1. Should you be waiting to have surgery? I want everyone to know I'm very comfortable with waiting. I trust my doctor, and he'd like me to be completely healed from my last surgery so he's able to see everything where it's suppose to be.
2. Do you need a second opinion? I've met with my surgeon, my gynecologist, and talked to the oncologist who will handle my treatment. They all collectively agree that I'm on the path I need to be on. I trust them completely.
3. Do you need a full hysterectomy? Yes, I do. Plain and simply, if the cancer is going to spread, it will spread to the other ovary. I know that nothing can replace natural hormones, but I would never be able to relax if I left that sucker in there. For my own sanity, I'm taking everything out, not to mention, I really don't want to go through another surgery down the road to have it removed if I can avoid that.
4. Do you have to do chemo? No, I don't HAVE to do anything, but is it recommended? Yeah, totally. They are worried because the cyst had ruptured. It was laying on everything. There might be little guys floating around in there that they can't see and I want them fried. I want every chance to kick this thing now, I will do whatever I can to ensure it does not come back, and if that's what they tell me to do, then bring it!
5. What's your recovery going to be like? Well, to be honest I don't know until the surgery. Best case scenario Dr Dodson does a laparoscopy and my recovery should be a couple of weeks. If he goes in and sees anything alarming, any tumors, I will have an incision pretty much from my sternum to my hairline. Recovery for that is 8 weeks. So I have to wait for surgery, it's the next big step. Chemo will start when I'm recovered. And depending on what they find in surgery will determine what kind of chemo.....so we wait.

It's been weird this last week. I had my daughters race in Redlands to look forward to between my diagnosis and my surgery. That has passed now, so reality is setting in a little bit. It's coming up quick. I'm nervous but also anxious to get this started, to get it behind me. I'm sick of thinking about it all the time, I try not to but it creeps in. I physically feel as great as I ever have, strong, good energy, so I'm going to use that to my advantage. I also have kept really busy, preparing my business for me being gone so I can have some peace of mind.

Thank you all so much for your concern and interest in what's going on. It has truly been overwhelming. I am surrounded by so many awesome people in my world, I am a lucky girl! Love you all, thanks for the support.

1 comments:

matt b. said...

Pulling for you Cort!! Kick this thing in the ass and come through stronger than ever!!

Post a Comment